Buy Now
The 44 Keys to Power, Control and Respect

About the Book​

This Guide helps the reader understand how experienced correction officers control inmate behaviors. It gives real life examples of the common situations
that today's correction officers face and offers tried and true methods of handling these situations.
Expand your understanding of corrections and inmates by taking advantage of this information. By reading this book you will gain knowledge of the job of corrections that may take many years to acquire.

This information is only passed down from one experienced officer to the next. You will not find this information in any other book. It will help you avoid many of the pitfalls of the job.​

After reading this book you will know the way of corrections. It will become crystal clear what you need to do to become a successful correction officer. If you are on the right track it will confirm what you already know. If you are having difficulties it will give you the tools you need to refocus and be a more effective officer.

There are 44 different sections or "Keys" in this book. Each one will add to your skill set and understanding. I'm sure you will find subjects that interest you. You will be familiar with some of the information in these sections, and some of the information will be new to you, but all the sections contain things you need to know. All the information is useful and vital to your success. This is a book that you want to have on your bookshelf or in your locker at work!      
The goal of this book is to help you have a safe and successful career in corrections. If you are a correction officer, read this book and pass it on to someone else whom you think may benefit from the information. If you are not a correction officer but know someone who is, get this book into his or her hands. It will prove to be one of the best things you can do for them.​

The 44 Keys ​​

​​to power, control and respect

With great power comes great responsibility

This book has 44 chapters which are The 44  Keys to Power, Control and Respect. They will add to your skill set and understanding. All the chapters contain information you need to be an effective correction officer.  All the information is useful and vital to your success.  Below are exerpts from the first 3 keys.​​

Key 1

Know What it Means to be a
Correction Officer
This key provides the answers to two basic questions:
What does it mean to be a corretion officers and
​what is the job of a correction officer.

The first thing you need to know is that inmates see you as an officer, a C.O. or police. In their minds, for the most part, you are just like the cop that arrested them or any other law enforcement officer. They don’t tend to make the distinction between police officers and correction officers the way we do. Many of them don’t like cops so they don’t like correction officers either.

Yes, I know, you are nothing like the cops that patrol your neighborhood. You’re cool and you don’t have anything personally against inmates and that’s good. But remember, once you put on that uniform and step into that jail you are a correction officer 100% and you are connected to every other law enforcement officer. That’s how the inmates see you.  
Being a Correction Officer means you are a peace officer. You are a law enforcement officer empowered by your state, city, county or the federal government to enforce correction law. It’s not personal; it’s business and at times a dirty business. You will not be sitting on the sidelines while violence is happening around you. You will be actively trying to prevent violence from happening or assisting in terminating violence that has already begun. You and your fellow officers are the law, the police of the jail, the line that cannot be crossed. . . . 

Key 2

Be Firm, Fair and Consistant

This will help you gain the
​respect of the inmates

In order to be a good and effective correction officer you must gain the respect of the inmates. Once you gain the respect of the inmates you will find it easier to get the inmates to comply with your orders and instructions. In order to gain the respect of the inmates you must be firm, fair and consistent. 
Being firm means stand your ground.
There will be times when you will be at odds with an inmate or a group of inmates because you are enforcing the rules of the institution. You will feel pressured to abandon your position and go along with what the inmates want in order to avoid conflict. During these times remember, you are not trying to win a popularity contest. Your job is to enforce correction law and the rules that govern your institution. You must be firm, don’t give in to the inmates in an attempt to win them over or be popular. If the law and the rules are on your side, be resolute and maintain your position. 
If the inmates feel that under pressure you will retreat from your position and give in to them, they will pressure you each and every time you make a decision until you give in.  You will be an ineffective officer. . .

Key 3

How to Deal With Troublemakers

Approximately 10 percent of the inmates are truly troublemakers. The other 90 percent are inmates that just want to do their time without having too many problems.
If you are new to corrections you may think that all the inmates are troublemakers. That is not the case. From my experience I have found that only about 10 percent of the inmates are truly troublemakers. The other 90 percent just want to do their time without having too many problems with correction officers or other inmates. So, if you have a housing area of sixty inmates, there will be approximately six inmates (10 percent) that are troublemakers. The other fifty-four inmates (90 percent) will not be a problem. For our purposes I will refer to these troublemakers as Bad Onions. I call them this because there are three layers of resentment that drive these inmates. Unfortunately, these Bad Onions usually have strong leadership qualities and can often influence some of the 90 percent to join them and cause problems, too. In this chapter, we will discuss how to deal with these troublemakers and limit their influence on the other 90 percent. To do this we must first identify them and then understand why they are so resentful and at times hostile toward correction officers. . . .

From the Experts
"This book should be required reading"​​​​

"This book should be required reading in every correctional academy.  The advice is priceless; it will save the jobs and mental health of many recruit officers.  While experience cannot be taught; it can save many from the pitfalls of the job." 

Dr. Ali-al-Rahman  
Assistant Professor Criminal Justice Department
Nassau Community College 
(Retired NYC DOC Warden)

       "I highly recommend the guide."

"The context of the guide is not to provide a total text of everything one needs to know in understanding inmates, but instead is a functional look of serious pitfalls to avoid when becoming a correction officer and supervising inmates. 
The book, “Correction Officer’s Guide to Understanding Inmates” is written in a manner that flows evenly from beginning to end, the book is a personal accounting of what an average person might encounter in becoming a correction officer. Although set within the New York City Department of Correction, the guide is a testimonial for any correction officer, anywhere. Clear and un-apologizing advice is given from a person that has acquired a high level of understanding inmates and professional skill in dealing with them. A new correction officer would find the guide a revealing resource of suggestions that are only considered by many tenured staff members once they have made mistakes. The guide is a means to avoid such mistakes.” 
Stephen A. Ricci, Esq. 
(Retired NYC DOC Captain)

"This book is very informative"​​

"This book is very informative and should be used as a tool in the Academy for training new officers as well as in the correctional institutions.
Everyone will find it to be quite beneficial"

G. Stephens
 (DOC Captain, Retired)

"I wish I had this guide when I came on the job"​​

"I wish I had this guide when I came on the job...
It's clear and to the point of what basic Corrections consist of. Each and every Key are like building blocks that will lead any Correction Officer, Correction Supervisor, to have a long and successful career. If you aspire to become a Correction Officer, or have family that are Correction Officers, you may want to get this book for them,
to have as a reference guide."
Alfred Dean
 (DOC Captain, Retired)